travel, food, photography, home, crafts, personal style

Sunday, 15 September 2013

Autumn arrives.

This week I have been taking a LOT of photographs, even more than usual, of things made from wool for a little catalogue - and that is all I can reveal.

It was fabulous timing as I had just started to look at doing a bit more knitting again and planning out my colder weather projects, the ones you do under a blanket with a roaring fire next to you. Several times since moving to the countryside we have actually been 'snowed in' as the gritting lorries fail to get out to us. It's probably not as bad as I'm making out but when they tell you on the news to only do "essential journeys" then, nothing seems essential unless you are starving or needing a hospital. I digress. 

So with the nip in the air and the cats starting their usual trail of muddy footprints all over the house, I thought I should change the house over from its summer style. The light delicate rugs changed, the eiderdowns got out of storage, the fireplace ready and some nice warm and orange tones in foliage to arrange. 



And these just happen to be all the things I needed to decorate my photographs. It was also an excuse to buy some lovely heathers and interesting vegetables. 

Im sure when most people bring home pumpkins and such, they intend to do more than carve a face in it, in this house neither of us can cook so more often than not the buying of gnarly gourd shaped edibles is due to the needing of a prop in a photo. 
I shall try and put these in some sort of soup perhaps.


Just in time some conkers and acorns could be found on the ground.




My mood references were natural history. 




If anyone can suggest what to do with the pumpkins that doesn't involve much skill in the kitchen, do let me know. I can update this post with the results. Until then, they shall stay in a rustic basket looking nice and decorative.


Share:

10 comments

  1. Fantastic pictures! I think the 'sacrifice' of the pumpkins were worth it (if they don't get eaten) ;)
    Personally I quite like them cut in strips, caramelised with onions and served with jacket potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous set of photographs. I love the colour of the velvet on your writing table.
    I'm not a pumpkin eater myself, but my Mum cuts it into quarters or 1/8th (depending on the suxe of the pumpkin), roasts it in the oven, then scrapes off the flesh, then whizzes that with stock (or water) seasons it so you end uo with soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for such lovely ideas, I will take a brave pill and try out these ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous photographs. I love this time of year, the colours are just wonderful and nature comes into its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pumpkin photos. We love carrot and pumpkin soup, just chop them up, add some, onions, stock and ground ginger (secret ingredient!). Quick whizz in the blender and enjoy :)

    I found your blog on Sarah Miles' bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photographs feels so autumn-y! x

    http://www.heldtogetherbypins.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went pumpkin picking yesterday and we've ended up with 14 of different shapes and sizes, 14!! With the munchkins I'm going to be coring them and stuffing them with a rice and blue cheese mix and roasting them in the oven for 30-45 minutes (ish).

    Wonderful accessories in the house, I particularly like the baskets.

    Nipping over from the Sunday Prop Shop linky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you all so much for the recipes, I may have to buy more pumpkins now to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah realised my comment never worked!!! I love love love reading your posts. Such inspiration! Can't wait to see your post next Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lucy, likewise. I really enjoy Sunday Prop Shop and have got a funny one for you especially this week.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig