Janice Issitt                    Life and Style

travel, interiors, photography, home, crafts, personal style

20 Feb 2023

Embroidery and Patchwork project part two

My patchwork and embroidered bag is now nearly finished, perhaps I will add a press-stud to hold the top and may be enticed to embellish a bit more with another patch or sprig of embroidery. This has been made using the James and Joanna Printed Inspiration box available on their website and in the shop at Harleston. 


In an effort to only use recycled fabrics I began with the lining as an indication of the size of my bag. Recently I had a gifted delivery of Bedfolk linen bedding, the pillows and sheets came in lovely drawstring bags, also made of linen. I have folded over a small section on the top edge which you can just see, its a colour called Clay and fits perfectly with my palette here. 



Using this bag as the lining I laid out all the pieces of printed and plain fabrics in the James and Joanna box. Moving them around I worked out which I would leave blank and which I would embroider. Once the embroidery had been done on the printed pieces I started to join the different sizes of scrap linens and grainsack in a pattern that fitted the shape.

The beauty of the variations in fabrics brings interest and texture to this muted piece. Some of the strips of fabric lent themselves to the strap, bottom reinforcing and side gussets. 



Using the technique of English Paper Piece patchworking, I joined the pieces together into two top sides leaving an allowance for the sides and bottom. Tacking and pinning to get it right I hand stitched all the pieces together. Once joined I added a bit more embroidery to the plain fabrics, and Joanna enlightened me with a new bit of kit, a Frixion pen, which you can draw onto the fabric and with a hot iron it becomes invisible if you make a mistake or once its served it purpose. 

Using one long strip I made a long strap and sewed this onto the inside. I then reinforced the bottom with an extra piece of grainsack.



Once it was all assembled I put my lining bag inside and just turned over the top of it to give the top edge a bit more finish and stability. Again this was hand sewn in place. 

I still have some printed and plain pieces left over so theres going to be a few more makes, a greetings card and a small purse sized pouch are most likely. Once finished I will post them here. By the way, the cushion on the chair below is embellished with one of James and Joannas printed letters squares and I added a circle of red leaves then attached it to a linen cushion. I hope you like what Ive done so far, more to follow soon.  


Share:
Blog Design Created by pipdig